Smoke detector alerts resident

Armstrong resident avoids house fire to fire thanks to smoke dector

  • Mar. 28, 2012 8:00 a.m.

A smoke alarm saved an Armstrong home from significant damage Monday morning.

The blaring alarm alerted a home owner in the 2400 block of Maundrell Avenue to a fire in his garage shortly after midnight.

One of the garbage cans in the garage caught on fire, and the owner was alerted to the smoke by the working smoke detector.

The owner was able to push the can out of the garage just prior to members of the Armstrong Spallumcheen Fire Department arriving on the scene.

Some linseed oil rags tossed in the can may have been a contributing factor to the fire.

There was no damage to the garage.