Suspect in custody following Enderby shooting

Police say shooting at an Enderby residence on Kildonan Avenue Tuesday night was not a random act

Vernon-North Okanagan RCMP are crediting the communities of Enderby and Ashton Creek for helping bring to an end a potentially dangerous situation Tuesday.

RCMP received reports of shots being fired at a home on Kildonan Avenue shortly before 6 p.m.

“Our investigation revealed that a 47-year-old Enderby man attended the residence, armed with a hunting rifle,” said RCMP Cpl. Gerry Kovacs. “He fired a single shot into an unoccupied vehicle parked at the residence.”

The shot brought a woman at the home outside to confront the man, and a verbal exchange ensued.

A second shot was fired but Kovacs could not confirm it was fired at the woman.

“It’s a little too early to definitively answer that,” said Kovacs. “The investigation will work those details out.”

Kovacs did say the house was targeted, and that the incident was not a random act.

The woman took refuge in the house and was not injured in the altercation.

The suspect jumped into a pick-up truck and fled the scene.

Police immediately deployed a helicopter and police dog services to search for the truck and the suspect around the community, and roadblocks were set up in surrounding communities.

A short time after the incident, police received information about the whereabouts of the vehicle, and that the suspect was willing to surrender himself on Enderby-Mabel Lake Road.

A man was arrested without incident on the road near Ashton Creek.

“This entire event unfolded within an hour-and-a-half, and we’re crediting our ability to quickly and successfully resolve this incident to the trust and co-operation we received from the communities of Enderby and Ashton Creek,” said Kovacs.

He added that the incident was an excellent example of how integrated detachments have an ability to quickly mobilize large numbers of police resources to adequately deal with serious incidents.

David Duaine Almaas has been charged with three firearms offences and one count of mischief, and further charges could be possible as the investigation unfolds.

Almaas has been remanded in custody pending his next court appearance in Salmon Arm Provincial Court July 24.