Travel trailer explodes at Sparkling Hill Resort

Propane leak inside unit believed to be cause of explosion and fire at resort. Nobody injured in Saturday morning incident...

Two people in a parked car at Sparkling Hill Resort escaped serious injury Saturday when a travel trailer beside their vehicle blew up.

Vernon Fire Rescue Service crews responded to a report of a travel trailer explosion and fire at Sparkling Hill shortly before 8 a.m.

“The fire was spreading from the trailer to the hillside,” said Capt. Reinhard Mann in a release. “Crews applied a hose line to stop the spread of flames into adjacent trees and brush. Once the fire was extinguished, fire crews managed to make entry into the trailer remains and shut off the propane tanks.”

Flying debris was spread over 100 feet and damaged several vehicles.

Two occupants of a vehicle parked next to the trailer at the time of explosion escaped without injury.

Upon investigation, it was believed that a propane leak occurred inside the unit and was possibly ignited by the refrigerator  pilot light.

The trailer was insured and the owners from Fort McMurray, Alta. were thankful that no one was injured in the blast.