Ed Dugdale

Ed Dugdale

September 15, 1938 – July 20, 2018
It is with heavy hearts that we announce the passing of our brother Edward Charles Dugdale, July 20th, 2018, in the Rotary Hospice House in Prince George after a short battle with cancer. We would like to thank Dr Hundel, Dr Coran, Dr Manhadd, and everyone else that was on Ed’s care team. A special thanks to the great care from the Hospice House and Chris Burkhart who was there to comfort him during his final time.

Ed was predeceased by his parents Charles (1992) and Sylvia (1980): sisters Edith (1969) and Ethel (1975); his brother Eric (2000) and wife Terri (“Ferroll” 2001).

He is survived by: his son John (Suzanne), granddaughters Chantel and Noelle of Edmonton; brothers Ernie (Noreen) and Earl of Prince George; and sister in-law Louise Dugdale (Eric) of Enderby. Finally, many nieces, nephews, cousins and other extended family.

Ed had a great passion for C.P Rail and spent his life moving around to pursue the lifestyle and work he loved. The 24-hour clock was his time keeper. He retired in Enderby, then moved to Golden for some 15 years, and then finally, to Prince George last year where Vic made him feel welcome and Noreen shared meals with him.

Ernie – “First out” always having everything packed and ready to go when you got the call to go to work. This mantra was ingrained in his person and carried on after retirement. Lots of memories cruising around in the 59 Ford loaded with Ashton Creek Pepsi and $2 in gas and a jacket to sit on to make me look taller! We even painted the roof of the old grey Dodge white with paint brushes to look better much to the shock of his buddy Cobo Tokairin. He came home singing the Elvis song “Freight train” after a summer of work. He always maximized our time together.

Earl- Some of my best memories were when I was with the Railway Police and took him around the North Van Yard and on to the Units to meet the other Engineers. Drinking beers at Riverside Park camped out and, when he was camping in my yard having beers, he would toss small tomatoes to my dog Pepper to eat, even though he never liked dogs.

Louise- Some of the best times were playing cards with Ed and Ferroll, girls against the guys, and him tearing up the dance floor. He had one of the first, huge, cell phones. He was also very kind, teaching me how to correctly park and set up the RV after Eric passed away and helping Eric and Grandpa split shakes. And speaking of wood, the cutting and chopping and always having a multi year supply.

Ed was a great camper and was always the glue that held the family together, checking in to make sure that everyone was okay. In 1963, the first big dance at the new Riverside Hall was a jive contest. All of Enderby was invited and Ethel and Ed were the winners in spite of the fact that Mom and Dad didn’t even know they could dance!! He started “Shooter Sundays” that began with one, but quickly had to be stopped at a maximum of three. There are many B-52 shooter stories ranging from a Japanese restaurant with Ernie, to a slippery Riverside Park picnic table with niece Natalie, to one time when Louise had a to call her son, Rick, for a ride home and then Rick ended up having to call some else to drive them both home!!

It was during times like these that this man of one or two well chosen words developed a lovable “he he he” giggle that will always bring a smile to those who remember him.

In his last words “I’m going back to the farm……….”

On behalf of the family, Earl Dugdale will be hosting a fun celebration of life in the 3 Guys Garage on August 25th 4 pm. 254 Quinn St. North, Prince George, BC. BYOB and a lawn chair. Please bring any photos or memories for us to enjoy and share. In lieu of flowers, we will have a donation box for the PG Hospice House.

Additional Photo(s):


Celebrations Of Life

Your condolences will be approved within one business day. You will need a valid Facebook account. Please email us if you have any questions.