LETTER: Burning of garbage a problem in Trout Creek

Summerland Council asked to address issue within community

Dear Editor:

I would like to call the attention of Summerland Council to the burning of garbage in peoples’ fireplaces in Trout Creek.

I would especially like the mayor to take note of this issue and Coun. Erin Trainer as she lives in Trout Creek and her profile on the council page says that she is an advocate for healthy living.

After all the fires in the summer of 2018 I thought I could open my windows and have some fresh air in the house. I only had an opportunity of two weeks before people started to put their fireplaces on and toss their garbage into it with the result of burning plastics and other substances.

READ ALSO: Open fire ban rescinded in Kamloops, Okanagan, but local bylaws still in effect

READ ALSO: BC Wildfire Service urges people to be careful with fire use over long weekend

The smell of chemical off-gassing from the burning of peoples’ trash in their fireplaces is so strong that I believe it is a health risk to go outside at these times.

I live on Nixon Road. and recently, the smell of burning plastics and chemicals was strong. I have refrained from walking at night when this occurs.

This is the second year I have been here and experienced the burning of trash in the evenings.

I’ve spent 20 years in Osoyoos prior to moving to Trout Creek and the city took the burning of trash seriously.

I don’t know if you have anyone looking after this issue or if the city is aware of the serious effects burning household trash?

In a nutshell, the burning of garbage releases styrene gas, dioxins and furans. These substances damage the nervous system, the kidney, the liver, and the reproductive system.

They do not disappear, they go into the land and into the water and then eventually back into our drinking system.

Even the simple act of burning paper towel which appears harmless enough, releases halogenated hydrocarbons.

Please see the below document for a clear understanding of what occurs with any kind of garbage that is burned in a fireplace. Even magazines are suspect and leave heavy metals.

zendergroup.org/docs/health_effects_burning_trash.pdf

I appreciate your time and your attention to this issue.

Teresa A. Cowan

Summerland

To report a typo, email:
news@summerlandreview.com
.



news@summerlandreview.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Vernon Vipers survive collapse, edge Cents in shootout

Merritt rallies from 6-0 and 7-2 deficits to earn single BCHL point against Snakes

Vernon Vipers game going to the dogs

Vipers to host Pacific Assistance Dog Society Wednesday, Dec. 18, 7 p.m., Kal Tire Place

Vernon students get course in financial literacy

Credit union liaison teaches students about everything financial to help them plan their futures

Vernon stores part of company holiday food drive

Donate food or cash until Dec. 24 at Wholesale Club or Superstore

Vernon runner third at nationals

Robyn Poulin wins bronze in masters women’s race, gold in age group; handful of local runners compete

VIDEO: Led by ‘Marriage Story,’ Netflix dominates Golden Globe noms

Netflix flexed its muscles across all categories, just as it is girding for battle with a host of new streaming services

320 years since the ‘Big One’ doesn’t mean it’s overdue: B.C. professor

‘It could happen today, tomorrow or 100 years from now’

Would you leave your baby alone to go to the gym? This Canadian dad did

The man identifies just as a divorced dad with a nine-month-old baby

B.C. coroner asking for help identifying man found dead in Peace region

Mounties have deemed the man’s death not suspicious and believe he died earlier this year

Lawyer competence includes knowledge of Indigenous-Crown history: B.C. law society

All practising lawyers in B.C. will be required to take a six-hour online course covering these areas

Wealth of Canadians divided along racial lines, says report on income inequality

One interesting finding was that racialized men have a higher employment rate than non-racialized men

Morning Start: What if The Matrix starred Will Smith?

Your morning start for Monday, Dec. 09

West Kelowna house fire demonstrates danger posed by candles

West Kelowna Fire Rescue says an unattended candle caused the Sunday afternoon fire.

Most Read