Tax talk

Resident questions the provincial government's handling of the LNG industry

The provincial government proudly announced the tax paid by the LNG industry would be based on seven per cent applied to profits after adjustments for capital costs.

However, due to an industry lobby, the royalty was subsequently reduced to 3.5 per cent pending an increase in the price of gas.

In Norway, regardless of market conditions, the tax charged petroleum companies is based on the country’s 28 per cent standard rate plus an additional 50 per cent of profits for a total of 78 per cent and, apparently, the companies are doing just fine and continue to do business with the country.

By comparison, farms producing beer and wine in the province, a labour intensive and sustainable industry, are charged 50 to 60 per cent based on the retail price of their products.

I believe most informed people would agree something is amiss.

I know the Alberta taxpayer does and they recently voted accordingly.

 

S. Swift

Vernon

 

 

Just Posted

Sewer project kiboshed by Vernon residents

Majority rules: Okanagan Landing residents say ‘no’ to Claremont Sewer hookup

Vernon ski racer chosen for grant in end game

Makena Kersey, 18, has called it a career following a gruesome leg injury, but story inspires grant

Vernon’s own CSI digging into crime mysteries

Forensic Identification Section a specialized support unit used in various cases

Sagmoen’s in-custody statements under judge’s scrutiny

Sagmoen’s lawyer said statements made by him while in police custody were not provided voluntarily

‘It’s almost surreal’: South Okanagan fire chief, sidekick Sammy recap rescue mission in Bahamas

Chief Larry Watkinson and Sam the disaster dog spent 8 days assisting a search and rescue team

Defense says burden of proof not met in double murder case against Victoria father

Closing statements begin in trial for man accused of killing daughters Christmas 2017

B.C. dog breeder banned again after 46 dogs seized

The SPCA seized the animals from Terry Baker, 66, in February 2018

Surrey mom allegedly paid $400,000 for son in U.S. college bribery scam

Xiaoning Sui, 48, was arrested in Spain on Monday night

Three dogs found shot dead in Prince George ditch

The three adult dogs appeared to be well cared for before being found with gunshot wounds, BC SPCA says

Vancouver police could be using drones to fight crime by end of year

The police department has already purchased three drones, as well as three others for training

B.C. party bus company to be monitored after 40 intoxicated teens found onboard

Police received tip teens and young adults were drinking on party buses and limousines in Surrey

About cyclists and bike paths

LETTER: Kalamalka Road bike path bad design

Rick Mercer calls out Conservative candidate in B.C. for fake meme

‘Not true. All fake. Please Stop,’ tweeted Rick Mercer in response

Most Read