Al Murphy (left) of the Vernon Leko Pre-Cast Camels hunts down a loose ball against Matt Cherrille of the North Country Appraisals Kickers Monday night.

Al Murphy (left) of the Vernon Leko Pre-Cast Camels hunts down a loose ball against Matt Cherrille of the North Country Appraisals Kickers Monday night.

Humpbacks bank shutout against North Country

Leko Precast Camels ground North Country Appraisals Kickers 3-0 in Capri Insurance Men’s 45+ Soccer League action at Marshall Field.

The Leko Precast Camels grounded the North Country Appraisals Kickers 3-0 in Capri Insurance Men’s 45+ Soccer League action Wednesday night at Marshall Field.

The Camels (4-1) carried the majority of play against the shor-staffed Kickers (2-2-1) and opening the scoring at 20 minutes when striker Al Murphy deflected a Rick Raber shot from near the 18.

Defender Jeff Vest, who took the Pepsi Man of the Match, made it 2-0 early in the second half when he delivered a free kick pass from Al Betton, low, right corner, from 20 yards. Striker Gordie Howard went top shelf from the left side, five minutes later.

Humpback keeper Dave Dutcher stopped Fritz Berenyi on an early breakaway and had to backpedal and tip a spinning shot over the bar for his second straight clean sheet.

The Silver Stars stayed near the top of the table by clipping Cantina’s 2-0 in Kelowna.

The Stars (3-0-2) started the game with only nine runners against a Cantina’s team that was celebrating alumni night with a stacked bench of 18 (Bill Graham showed up late and took a minute to finish his cigarette before stepping onto the pitch).

The Stars opened the scoring when keeper Ted Lurkins cleared a ball down field to Steve Church who found the keeper off his line and tucked the ball into the open net.

The Stars got some insurance when Randy Eyford cut a ball back to a streaking Rob Bauml who drew a slide tackle in the box. Bauml scored on the PK.

Cantina’s controlled the action in the second half, but the Stars’ back line of Steve Coombs, Dennis Berg, Tim Penaluna and Cam Percy kept the Cantina forwards at bay.

Kelowna IGA resumed their unbeaten run with a 4-1 victory over Vernon’s Bosman Accounting at Marshall Field #1.

Bosman (1-4) had the better first half with lots of possession and a great strike from Tom Ouchi to take the early lead. IGA (4-0-1) levelled the score around 35 minutes on a Donny Brown penalty kick.

IGA picked up the pace in the second half, and with only 11 players, they dominated play with goals from Darryl Hazell, Lionel Hoffman and Rich Woodhouse.

Brandt’s Creek Pub also joined the throng near the top with a 3-2 win over the Big O Tire/Turn-Key Ogopogos at Parkinson #16.

Brandt’s Creek (4-1) grabbed an early 2-0 lead, scoring once on a header the Ogopogos believed went in off a Kelowna player’s hand, before Mark Wasylyk buried a low blast, short side for Big O (2-3).

Wasylyk again converted later in the second half, taking a perfect pass from Roland Riedstra in front of the net.

Shortly after, Brandt’s Creek attacked and put the breakaway winner past Ogopogo keeper Yogi Kongsdorf with a deke.

Central defender Leo Nadeau was the Sleeman’s Man of the Match for the Ogopogos, who were foiled several times by the pub crew’s acrobatic keeper Dave Gadd.

In other action, Wolfgang Bopp scored twice on penalties as Salmon Arm beat the visiting Rented Mules 2-0, while Dave Smart supplied both goals as Pushor Mitchell Advocates stopped Rutland Spirit 2-1 and Penticton shut out Lake Country 2-0.

In men’s 35+ league play Monday night, the unbeaten Vernon Celtic dug deep to salvage a 3-3 draw against host Salmon Arm.

The Shuswap crew opened the scored early on a penalty kick awarded after Geoff Straight slipped and accidentally brought down his opponent. The Celtic looked for an immediate response but were unlucky with the post and a goal line clearance.

Just before half time, Jesse Knight found an extra gear as he chased a long ball and knocked it in through the keeper’s hands.

Early in the second half, Salmon Arm took the lead again after a scramble. Matters got worse when the hosts extended their lead after miscommunication in the Celtic back line, much to the disbelieve of coach Kay Tolpinrud.

The Celtic had to find a way back into the game and were shown the way by warriors Tyler Johnson, Joey Schroder and Rod Valdiviso. With 20 minutes to play, Tolpinrud decided to bring on wildcard Nolan Clarke as an extra forward and the reward followed when Knight brought the deficit back to one after he out-hustled his opponent and buried a precise shot.

With time running out, the Celtic frantically sought the equalizer, and as the clock ticked past the 90-minute mark, Ryan Sharp pumped the ball one more time up front; Kriss Yargeau won the battle in the air and his flick landed into the path of Bryan Schenker, who slammed the ball into the far corner.

Vernon Kal Tire couldn’t field a team and defaulted to Penticton Pinnacles FC.