Jones jumpstarts Heat offence

Vernon's Austin Jones nets winner as UBC Okanagan Heat ground Douglas College Royals 3-0 Sunday at Town Centre Fields in Coquitlam.

A penalty-kick converted by Austin Jones (fourth year, Vernon) in the first half was all the UBC Okanagan Heat needed as they grounded the Douglas College Royals 3-0 Sunday at Town Centre Fields in Coquitlam.

“We controlled the game for the most part,” said third-year midfielder Donald Straith (Victoria). “We worked very hard at the beginning of the game which took off some pressure at certain points.”

After Jones converted the penalty, the Royals began applying heavy pressure to the Heat back line. Joe Gill (fourth year, Abbottsford) made a sliding save to keep the ball from crossing the goal line late in the first half to preserve the Heat’s lead.

The Heat found their offensive groove in the second half, beginning with Logan Abbott’s (freshman, Salmon Arm) header in the middle stages. Enzo Paal (freshman, Vernon) added an late insurance goal (his second in three games).

Logan Ellis (second year, Calgary) now boasts three consecutive clean sheets, as the Heat have not allowed a goal since the 75th minute of the season opener versus the Vancouver Island University Mariners.

The Heat (2-1-2) battled the Kwantlen Polytechnic University Eagles to a scoreless draw in a physical affair Saturday.

“It was just one of those away games,” said Heat coach Dante Zanatta. “We created chances and didn’t finish them. They defended quite well.”

Third-year defender Harrison Shrimpton (Whistler) was the Heat Man of the Match, pestering the Eagles’ offence away from Ellis.

In women’s play, Haylee Lakovic’s (freshman, West Kelowna) goal in the third minute opened the offensive floodgates for the Heat as they dismantled Douglas College 3-0 Sunday in Coquitlam.

“It was definitely a well-fought match,” said Lakovic. “It got very physical, but we kept composed and we played how we know how to and came out with a well-deserved win.”

Lakovic followed up on her goal in the third minute with another in the 21st, and Michelle Smith (third year, Vernon) put the finishing touches on the match after converting a penalty kick in the 80th minute. Christine Tallon (fourth year, Kamloops) earned a second clean sheet in as many days, looking fully recovered from the concussion she suffered in pre-season.

“We battled for 90 minutes and were rewarded for our efforts,” said Heat head coach Claire Paterson. “It was an extremely physical match, but we did well to keep our composure and focus during the game.”

The Heat (3-0-1) opened the weekend by playing Kwantlen to a scoreless draw Saturday.

Smith and Hayley Carlson (third year, Red Deer) had the best chances for the Heat with great looks from the corner.

“It was a choppy game today with no real flow to the match,” said Paterson. “We created chances but it was unfortunate that we couldn’t convert them today.”

Tallon recorded the shutout.