Corey Osborne of Penetanguishene, Ont. ruled the Keith Callander Open by winning both the Men’s Open Singles and Men’s Open/Elite titles at Rosters Sports Club.
Corey, ranked 13th in Canadian racquetball, defeated No. 17 Tanner Mattson of North Vancouver 15-12, 15-5 in Sunday’s final of an event previously known as the Splatfest Open.
“Tanner has not been playing much lately and the rust showed as Tanner missed a number of shots that he would normally make. These players are so good, you can’t give them any help,” said Doug Ross, tourney co-director.
Osborne reached the finals by defeating Ryan Mosdell of Surrey 15-11, 15-2 in one semi and Mattson knocked off David Serra of Langley 15-7, 15-9 in the other semi. Osborne and his partner Bryan Killins of Coquitlam defeated Mattson and Steve Majocha of Victoria 15-3, 15-6.
One of the most popular tournaments in B.C. attracted 46 players from out of town, including 10 from Alberta.
Top seed Jeff Miller of Spruce Grove, Alta., dispatched Vernon’s Doug Ross 15-12, 9-15, 11-9 to take the Men’s Elite Singles title while Allen Bauman of St. Albert grounded Tom Gilbert of Lake Country 15-12, 15-9 for third place. Miller stopped Gilbert 15-4, 15-7 in one semi, while Ross bounced Bauman 15-12, 15-11 in the other.
There was a field of 10 women with Cheryl McKeeman of Vancouver and Penny Pratt of Salmon Arm going 4-0, brushing off Deb Grotterod of Vernon and Deborah Leclaire of Maple Ridge 16-14, 9-15, 11-8 to take the decisive doubles match and earn top spot.
One of the biggest draws of the weekend was the Mixed Doubles with nine teams. Deb Grotterod of Vernon and Karl Light of Victoria struck gold by defeating Ryan Mosdell of Surrey and Samantha Taylor of Langley 15-9, 15-3.
The tournament was also a fundraiser for ALS Canada to honour Callander, who lost a battle with ALS in January of this year. A goal of $1,500 was set for the fundraising and the participants stepped up and reached the goal Sunday afternoon.
Manny Gregorio, a legend in Alberta racquetball, participated and said: “I want to extend our appreciation for spearheading another great tournament. I’m sure that Keith is looking down and thinking, ‘You guys are the best.’”
Vernon has a great reputation for hosting tournaments and will be the site of a Racquetball Canada selection event in November that will see the top 24-30 players in Canada play for a chance to be on Team Canada.
Ryan Mosdell of Surrey took third in Men’s Open Singles by forfeit over David Serra of Langley.
In the consolation final, Cam Bourque of St. Albert iced Steve Majocha of Victoria 8-15, 15-9, 11-4.
In the Men’s Elite Singles, it was Bauman getting past 15-12, 15-9 Gilbert 5-12, 15-9.
On the consolation side, Steven Dyck of Edmonton 15-3, 15-7 bottled up Bill Burdge of Abbotsford 15-3, 15-7.
Men’s A Singles
1. Scott Carruthers, Crofton, B.C., 15-8, 13-15, 11-2 over Chuck Tanner of Kelowna.
3. Mike Biggs, Sherwood Park, 16-14, 15-6 over Glenn Clark of Kamloops.
Consolation: Robert Durrant, Langley, 15-9, 15-9 over Jim McCulloch, Victoria.
Men’s B Singles
1. Rick Corbett, Ontario, 15-8, 15-0 over Gordon Roberts, Enderby.
3. Wade Woiken, Sherwood Park, 15-10, 17-15 over Frank Poirier of Armstrong.
Consolation: Gerry Lemire, Leduc, Alta., 15-4, 15-4 over Hudson Carruthers, Crofton.
Men’s Open/Elite Doubles
3. Serra/Mosdell 8-15, 15-11, 11-4 over Bourque/Gregorio.
Consolation: Bauman/Miller 15-5, 15-9 over Ross/Gilbert
Men’s A Doubles
1. Gustavo Millan, Victoria,/Jim McCulloch, Victoria vs Scott Carruthers, Crofton/Karl Light, Victoria (match played next weekend in Victoria to accommodate travel home).
3. Chuck Tanner, Kelowna/Ken McCluskey, Vernon 11-15, 15-5, 11-6 over Doug Burdge, Peachland/Bill Burdge, Abbotsford.
Consolation: Peter Callioux, Langley/Rick Sheren, Langley, 15-1, 14-16, 11-9 over Josh Spruce, Vernon/Doug Moore, Salmon Arm.
Men’s B Doubles
1. Hudson Carruthers, Crofton/Gustavo Millan, Victoria, 15-11, 15-9 over Don Pitter/Rick Corbett, Ontario.
3. Grant Dickie, Kelowna/Greg Farina, Vernon (forfeit).
Consolation: Gerry Lemire, Leduc/Bob Morrison, Edmonton, 15-0, 15-11 over Gordon Roberts, Enderby/Peter Batula, Vernon.
Women’s Doubles (Round Robin)
3. Marion McBride, St. Albert/Maxine Wells, Armstrong (2-2) .
1. Grotterod/Light 15-9, 15-3 over Mosdell/ Taylor.
3. McKeeman/Glenn Clark, Kamloops, 12-15, 15-7, 11-5) over Curt Broughton, Vernon/Karen McGarrity, Coldstream.
Consolation: Glen Loucks, Lone Butte, B.C./Marion McBride, St. Albert, 15-10, 11-15, 11-8 over Grant Dickie, Kelowna/Pratt.