Isaiah Ondrik of Vernon United (left) and Revelstoke Strikers Spencer Spannier battle for the ball during North Okanagan Youth Soccer League U12 action Sunday at Marshall Field.

Isaiah Ondrik of Vernon United (left) and Revelstoke Strikers Spencer Spannier battle for the ball during North Okanagan Youth Soccer League U12 action Sunday at Marshall Field.

United Under 14 Girls blank Blaze

Vernon United celebrated Mother’s Day by stopping Kamloops Blaze Orange 2-0 in U14 Girls Rep soccer play at McArthur Island Sports Centre.

Vernon United celebrated Mother’s Day by stopping Kamloops Blaze Orange 2-0 in Thompson Okanagan Under 14 Girls Youth Soccer League play Sunday morning at McArthur Island Sports Centre.

Both teams looked a little sleepy in the early going, but Vernon woke up with a goal from Reyhanna Akkurt. The Blaze finished the first half with one shot on net as United maintained control.

Kamloops came out with more energy in the second half, but Vernon pushed back and Emilee Kronbauer converted a header after the keeper couldn’t control the ball from a very strong forecheck from Cayleigh Graham.

Cailin Correia stepped into the midfield position for the first time and carried the ball confidently while making responsible decisions. Brianne Robertson was a great two-way player ruling the outside lanes.

“Historically, we have had troubles with Kamloops, but today Vernon came out the stronger team, which is a great victory for the coaching staff and the players,” said United coach Brett Bandy.


Blaze torch U17 Girls

Vernon U17 Girls bowed 6-1 to the Kamloops U18 Blaze Sunday at Marshall Field #3.

Allana Young scored from a sharp angle to give Vernon a brief lead before Kamloops went to work. The Vernon girls presented their mothers with pink and white roses after the game. Jordynne Tomiak, a call-up keeper from United U14, faced countless shots.

In U11 Girls Rep Development action, United #2 came out strong with a 3-1 win over host Kamloops Blaze Blue before falling 3-1 to Kamloops White.

Chloee Richey caught the Blaze keeper out of position and put a ball just out of reach for United’s opening goal.

United dominated the first half and were unlucky when a goal-crease scramble resulted in one getting past keeper Elena Gaskell.

In the second half, a clearance ball from deep in the United zone by Makena Kersey to Paige Noakes saw Noakes sail the ball past the keeper for the go-ahead tally.

Julia Thompson, Ashton Cashato and Elliana Gutknecht dug deep on defence to hold the Blaze scoreless in the half. United added insurance after a great cross by Megan Sherwood was finished high by Gaskell.

In Game 2, the Blaze White took United by surprise scoring just eight seconds into the game, and added another just near the end of the first half.

Carly Southam played hard as keeper, and Juanita-Jean Big Plume-Bonneau was clutch on defence with two crease saves in the first half.

United kept the pressure on in the second half and were rewarded when Kelsey Carriere fought hard at midfield and took a run up the right side through defenders before scoring with the help of the far goal post. Keeper Keira Correia held Vernon in the game until a late goal by Kamloops.

United U11 #1 bounced the Blaze White 2-1 before tying the Blaze Orange 1-1 in their Sunday matches.

Sparkling goalkeeping by Erica Simpson and Hailey Yablonski, and a strong defensive line of Kiara Haydamack, Emilia Durfeld, and Jayden Strachan rattled the Orange team.

Emily Thomas opened the scoring for Vernon with a long shot from the top of the box, while Olivia McLennan capitalized on a pass from Laryssa Fletcher for the winner.

The heat didn’t slow the girls down in Game 2 as they dug deep for a draw. End-to-end action saw Nadia Smith and Gabrielle Triggs distribute the ball well up the field, while forwards Grace Atkins and Mia Dougan kept the pressure on the Kamloops defence.

McClennan, Thomas and Talia Quiring showed great endurance with their offensive runs which finally paid off as Quiring managed to get a shot past the keeper.

United keeper Danica Ariano kept Kamloops off the scoreboard in the first half, while Yablonski, who took over in net, held off the Blaze until late into the second.


United topples top-rated Selects

The United U16 Boys brushed back the top-seeded Shuswap Selects 2-1 Sunday in Salmon Arm.

Under the superb guidance of NOYSA technical director Claire Paterson, United displayed excellent offensive and consistent defensive skills all 90 minutes.

The boys took a commanding 2-0 lead in the first half and with extra bodies now back on the bench, the team’s endurance and skilful play has returned to very competitive levels.

The attack was very strong and Richard Fogarty had a tremendous game with two beautiful goals. The other star of the game was keeper Sean Bradbury, who repeatedly stymied Shuswap with superb stops.


Development squad strings wins

In U12 Boys Rep Development play in Salmon Arm, United #2 grounded the Kamloops White 3-1 before ambushing Shuswap 10-0.

Vernon opened the scoring versus Kamloops about 10 minutes in after a sweet corner by Braeden Cooper was headed in by Ben Purvis.

Solid defence was turned in by Mika Burns, Adam Raber, Dylan Huber, Jarrod Latta, Steven Benischek and Declan Stevenson.

Vernon, coached by Roy Cooper, converted just before the half when Huber nodded in a corner by Cooper.

United held on tight for three consecutive dangerous corners by Kamloops and then Brendan Yakura scored dribbling through the Kamloops defence after a throw-in by Cooper.

Noah Schneider was solid in net, allowing a high ball in the final minutes to spoil the clean sheet.

In Game 2, Burns and Purvis each pulled hat tricks, while Benischek, Latta, Raber and Daniel Saunders supplied singles as United rotated several players in net.

United #1 lost 4-0 to Kamloops Blaze Blue and fell 3-2 to Kamloops Blaze White.

Player of the Match in the shutout loss was hustling defender Sebastian Wenger.

In Game 2, Drayden Dougan, who buried a rebound off a Finn Plummer shot for the 2-2 goal, and ran miles, took MVP for United.

Owen Miller, who along with Purvis, made the regional B.C. Summer Games team, opened United’s attack with a 35-foot rocket.

Keeper Nick Mitchell, getting some wise pre-game advice and preparation from men’s oldtimers league stalwart Yogi Kongsdorf, made a handful of big stops.

The United #1 U11 Boys grounded Revelstoke Red 2-0 Sunday at Marshall Field.

Noah Podolski started the scoring with a high chip shot that eluded the keeper. Revelstoke pushed back and Vernon’s defence stood tall with Ty Ogasawara clearing a ball near the goal line on one of several Revelstoke chances.

Gerritt VanSoest, Hunter Housego, Joey Rodak and Tanner Imbeau enjoyed strong games on defence, while Joseph Neufeld, playing through pain, enjoyed a spirited contest with determined work on both sides of the ball.

Zack Laranjo had several offensive chances but was unable to convert and Cole Johnson came close on a pair of free kicks. The Vernon boys put their final touch on the score in the second half with a hard shot by Isaiah Ondrik that burned through the keeper’s fingertips. Tane Purcell and Noah Podolski shared the shutout.


United ties Orange crew

The U11 United #2 Boys played to a 2-2 draw against Kamloops Orange Sunday at Marshall Field.

United striker Zack Smith opened the scoring midway through the first half, taking a nice feed from Liam Glennon and burying it low to the corner. Kamloops replied just before the break.

United came out strong in the second half, scoring early on a beautiful three-pass goal. Lucas Wood started in his own half, fed the ball wide to Sheldon Yakura who put a sweet through ball to Smith who crossed it from the left side to a streaking Glennon for the swift finish.

“That was our best goal of the year,” said coach Sean Smith. “We had four boys touch the ball and all controlled the ball and made the right decisions.”

Kamloops controlled play for the remainder of the half and eventually got the equalizer with about 10 minutes to play.

“Logan Quibell was outstanding for us in net all game and allowed us to come away with a tie,” said Smith.