Victory comes with cost for Controllers

Allowing the first goal lit a fire under Turn-Key Controls, who rallied for a costly 4-3 win over the visiting Revelstoke Stallions

Allowing the first goal lit a fire under Turn-Key Controls, who rallied for a costly 4-3 win over the visiting Revelstoke Stallions in North Okanagan Soccer League action Wednesday at MacDonald Park.

After the Stallions struck first, Jeremy Kler made a remarkably long throw-in that bounced at the corner of the six-yard box where Preston Tucker flicked the bounce over the keeper to equalize.

Moments later, Kler was taken down from behind and had to leave the game. He did not return and went to get X-rays to determine the extent of his injury.

Adam Schwarz gave the controllers a 2-1 lead and defender Sean Bonnett bailed out keeper Gregg Douma by clearing a ball off the Turn-Key line for the Total Restoration save of the game.

Conan Ackert gave the Vernon squad a 3-1 lead before the break. Revelstoke tied the match with two quick second-half strikes, setting the stage for Ackert, who made a couple of moves and delivered a hard left-footed shot that beat the Revelstoke keeper for the winner.

Peter’s Tirecraft shared the scoring wealth in a 7-0 win over the Salmon Arm Outlaws at MacDonald Park.

Harminder Sandhu had a pair for the winners while singles went to Mark Wasylyk, David Choi, Brock Reim, Mol Haliru and Sean Jenkins. Rob Spraggs recorded the shutout.

Salmon Arm Eagle Homes NOD scored three second-half goals on its home pitch to defeat Monashee Football Club 4-1.

Alberto Lopez nodded in an MFC equalizer in the first half.

Down to nine men, NET held on for a 1-1 tie against league-leading Courvas Wednesday in Salmon Arm.

The hard-fought match saw three red cards and five yellows handed out.

Timber opened the scoring in the 25th minute when Brent Poulsen out-muscled a Courvas defender to a clearance and pounded it home from the top of the 18-yard box.

In the second half, NET midfielder Dexter James accidentally bumped the Courvas keeper, which set off fireworks for both teams. The two sides were issued red cards by the ref.

In the 70th minute, NET keeper Victor Gouchee, who was having a standout game, took down Fabrice Fanfani on a breakaway, leading to a red card. Courvas converted the spot kick on substitute keeper Ean Ross, who made some outstanding saves to preserve the tie.

Chris Ovens’ play in midfield earned him the Man of the Match.

NET plays Turn-Key and Tirecraft takes on MFC Sunday at 6:30 p.m. at MacDonald Park, the make-up of games postponed last week by inclement weather.

n NET advanced to the quarterfinals of the Royal Cup club competition with a 2-1 penalty kicks win over Kelowna Modern Furniture Pikeys.

The competition is similar to England’s F.A. Cup championship where club teams from all Okanagan leagues who enter the Royal Cup can end up playing one another as opponents are drawn randomly.

The Pikeys are currently in second place in Kelowna’s Division 1 league.

The Pikeys opened the scoring in the 52nd minute on a World Cup-like free kick that curled over the wall into the top corner, giving NET keeper Ean Ross no chance to make a save.

The timbermen replied minutes later on a free kick of their own as veteran Graham Ross hit an outside-of-the-foot stunner from eight yards off the goalline that fooled the Kelowna keeper and went top-shelf on the short side.

Ean Ross made two huge saves in the penalty shootout though one was called back for a line violation, while NET scored on all of its chances.

NET will play its next Royal Cup game Aug. 10 in Kelowna.