Mitchell’s Musings: Not to be taken internally, seriously?

Common sense needed more than warning labels

I liked to read as a kid. A lot. Anything I could get my hands on really.

And it didn’t have to be a book or anything substantial.

Now, I did read books. In fact, I can remember lying on the bedroom floor reading westerns in the dark by the hall light that shone through the opening in the doorway.

When I had to get glasses in Grade 4, I thought it was my fault for reading too much, or with poor light.

But I also read the back of the cereal box while having breakfast. Over and over, again. That’s why I know that “Gratis L’interieur” means “Free inside.”

And even in the bathtub, as if I wasn’t really alive, or at least fully engaged in living, unless I was reading, and that included shampoo bottles.

Now, I know there’s not a lot of substantive reading on a shampoo bottle, although, “Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific” was a mouthful at the time, but something stayed with me after all these years.

They used to carry a warning – “Not to be taken internally” – that seemed curious at best and rather unnecessary at least.

I mean I was young enough to be pretty sure that meant don’t drink the shampoo, but then I thought they probably should have spelled that out a bit better because anyone stupid enough to actually drink shampoo ain’t gonna know what “Not to be taken internally” means.

Know your audience I always say.

I mean, maybe a baby might try to drink the stuff, but they can’t read anyway and they’ve got their own shampoo.

And it’s not like the stuff will kill you, I don’t think.

Maybe people, even back then, embarked on so-called cleanses that for some reason involved shampoo, but again, I doubt it.

It’s not like there was a warning on our Ivory bar soap that said, “Not to be taken internally, unless your mother is trying to teach you a lesson,”

I don’t know if conditioner bottles had similar warnings back then, cause we didn’t buy the stuff, but after exhaustive research that involved looking in three different bathrooms, there are no such warnings on either shampoo or conditioner bottles today.

Did we get smarter as a species or did shampoo manufacturers just get tired of stating the obvious?

Maybe the government stopped mandating the warning because, well, duh. And when did this happen? Sometime between my bathing days and my showering days, where reading, even shampoo bottles without my glasses, is most difficult.

Although this piece of evolutionary news is refreshing, it’s not like we lack for silly warnings on other items these days.

Like fast-food coffee. Many of the coffee cups contain warnings – “Caution, contents hot.”

No kidding. In fact, if it’s not, I’ll be choked.

Now unlike the shampoo thing, I know where this warning comes from. Somebody from Anywhere, Arkansas, took a chain to court after suffering burns to his lower region, I hope, and then somehow successfully sued the golden arches (or whoever) for giving him a hot cup of coffee without instructions and then the lawyers took over and we all have to read that disclaimer from now until eternity.

Just Google Shakespeare and lawyers to see what I think of this turn of events.

But why stop there? The possibilities are endless.

On ice cream – “Caution freezing cold, and more than a few calories.”

On video games – “Caution very addictive, and you may never see the outside world again.”

On condoms – “Caution, just caution.”

On phones – “Caution, obsolete before you learn how to use it.”

On metal poles – “Caution, cold in winter, keep tongues away…”

Glenn Mitchell is a columnist and former editor of The Morning Star.

mitchchap1@outlook.com

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Vernon Fire Rescue Services and Vernon-North Okanagan RCMP were called to a report of an electrical fire at the emergency response centre operated by Turning Points Collaborative Society on 37th Street Sunday, Oct. 18, just before 5:30 p.m. The fire displaced shelter residents who have been set up with services at the Vernon Recreation Complex. (Roger Knox - Morning Star)
UPDATE: Vernon shelter residents find refuge in hotels, motels, recreation complex after fire

Electrical fire at Turning Points Collaborative Society’s emergency response centre on 37th Street

Rotary Club members Bernard and Brenda Dewonck, left, and club president Sandy Wightman, far right, present Food Bank president Kim Sylvestre, centre, with bags and baskets representing their $3,333.33 donation. (Contributed)
Lake Country food bank gets $3,333.33 boost

Three lucky winners of Rotary Club raffle gave needed support to food bank amid pandemic

Fire truck (File photo)
Firefighters respond to large Coldstream burnpile

Blaze reported as a grass fire, actually just a fall burn

RCMP. (Phil McLachlan photo)
Suspect driving stolen vehicle rams two Lake Country RCMP cruisers

Pontiac reported stolen from Vernon area; suspect not located

The Greater Vernon Chamber handed out its Business Excellence Awards at a Godfather-themed gala in 2019. (Photo: SPROING; styling from Caravan Farm Theatre)
Vernon Chambers celebrates Small Business Week

Webinars and events scheduled to boost small business

A puppy is cared for at the Kelowna BC SPCA. Image: BC SPCA
Puppy recovers from virus after being seized from Princeton farm

The pup was one of the 97 animals seized by the BC SPCA in September

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

Osoyoos Fire Department responded to reports of a vehicle engulfed in flames Sunday (Oct. 18) evening at a Lambert Court residence. (Osoyoos Fire Department)
Osoyoos Fire Department knock down car fire near home

Blaze was ‘really close’ to becoming a structure fire

A passer-by walks past a COVID-19 testing clinic in Montreal, Friday, Oct. 16, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
Canada ‘yet to see’ deaths due to recent COVID surge as cases hit 200,000

Much of the increase in case numbers can be attributed to Ontario and Quebec

Police confirm human remains were found in a recycling bin in Vancouver on Oct. 18, 2020. (Black Press Media file photo)
Human remains found in recycling bin floating near Vancouver beach

Police asking nearby residents to see if their recycling bin has gone missing

A file photo of an RCMP dog. (Campbell River RCMP photo)
Lawsuit claims Kelowna man suffered ‘vicious’ attack by RCMP dog, handler

Fernando Verde claims he was resuscitated at the hospital and needed emergency surgery following the attack

B.C. Liberal leader Andrew Wilkinson visits a North Vancouver daycare to announce his party’s election promises for child care, Oct. 9, 2020. (B.C. Liberal Party video)
B.C. parties pitch costly child care programs in pandemic

B.C. Liberals say they’ll deliver on NDP’s $10-a-day promise for lower-income families

A B.C. man decided to create a website to help people find family doctors accepting patients. Because Victoria is considered high-demand, clinic openings can’t be posted publicly. (Unsplash)
Vancouver Island man starts website that connects B.C. residents with doctors

Nanaimo man started project to help people find family physicians accepting patients

Gambletron, along with Johnny Forever Nawracaj and Enderby’s own Zev Tiefenbach, are featured in the Build Up pop-up exhibition and performance extended today, Oct. 19 at the Caetani Centre. (Contributed)
Exhibit pops up for another day in Vernon

Caetani Centre extends sound installation after sold-out weekend

Most Read