City updating water conservation bylaw

ARMSTRONG: Bylaw gets some tweaking as city manages supply and demand

With work on its master water plan continuing, the City of Armstrong is tweaking its water use and conservation bylaw.

Three readings have been given to an amended bylaw where updates have been recommended.

“Managing the supply and demand of the city’s treated, potable water is critical,” said administrator Melinda Stickney.

The city regulates use and conservation of water by bylaw for all residential, commercial and industrial customers.

“Careful management of this finite resource ensures capacity in the system to meet its current obligations,” said Stickney.

The definitions section of the bylaw has been proposed to be updated to clearly outline purpose and use associated with water purposes for domestic, commercial, outdoor and agricultural. Allowable uses have not changed.

“The focus of the utility remains that it provides treated potable water for association domestic and commercial uses,” said Stickney.

Restrictions, requirements and discontinuance of service provisions have been reworded and the offences and fine schedule is now included in the bylaw.

A special council meeting has been called for 4 p.m. today to give the fourth reading to the bylaw amendment. If it passes, the changes will be adopted.

Three readings were given unanimous approval by council.

“It’s important that we give a good overview of where we’re going with our water conservation,” said Mayor Chris Pieper of the proposed updates.

The city obtains its drinking water from Fortune Creek (95 to 98 per cent of its supply) and from two well sites. Every year, about 1.1 million cubic metres of water is treated by chlorination and UV disinfection and distributed through the city’s water plan and utility infrastructure.

Of the water distributed, more than 75 per cent is used by city customers. The remaining 25 per cent of consumption is utilized by users in the Township of Spallumcheen.

Potable water is provided to a pair of township groups: to a water service area that directly serves residences off the trunk main which runs from the water treatment plant on Powerhouse Road to the city at Rosedale Avenue East, and through bulk water sales to six township water districts (Silver Star, Stardel, Lansdowne, Highland Park, Round Prairie and Pleasant Valley).

The city can provide bulk water sales to the water districts through a bylaw.

Just Posted

Vipers snap Vees’ unbeaten run at 13

Vernon hands Penticton first shutout loss of the season, 4-0 at home Saturday

Holiday bears off to new homes

Annual Morning Star December giveaway draws crowd on cold Saturday morning

Legion bell prank hits sour note

Anger erupts after Summerland Legion member removes bell from Peachland Legion

T-Birds high on Hansma

Armstrong high jump star commits to UBC Thunderbirds track team

Vipers down Silverbacks

Vernon goes into Salmon Arm and wins 3-1 in B.C. Hockey League action Friday

VIDEO: B.C. women’s curling teams converge on Hope club

Weekend-long tournament hosts groups from around the province

Team Canada loses 5-2 over the Czech Republic at World Junior A Challenge

Vees’ Tychonick drops in one of Team Canada West’s pair of goals

Site C decision coming Monday morning

Premier John Horgan to announce fate of dam project at B.C. legislature

California couple name daughter after Revelstoke

Revy Elle Atashroo was born on Nov. 27. Her name honours the town her parents loved exploring.

VIDEO: Vancouver Whitecaps acquire star striker Kei Kamara

Kamara has 103 goals and 39 assists in 298 appearances over 11 Major League Soccer seasons

Smartphone pedometers underestimate steps, but valuable health tool: study

UBC researchers found the iPhone underestimated steps by 21.5 per cent

VIDEO: ‘Last Jedi’ premiere kicks off with droids, Daisy Ridley

Latests Star Wars film premiered in style ahead of Dec. 15 theatre debut

UPDATE: Poor ventilation likely cause of carbon monoxide incident at B.C. farm

All 42 patients have been released from hospital, according to Delta Fire

Most Read