The Enderby Fire Department contained a fire at a suspected drug house in the 1900 block of George Street to the basement Tuesday. The City of Enderby condemned the home April 10. (Tammy Stelmachowich - Morning Star)

Condemned suspected Enderby drug house suffers fire damage

Home in 1900 block of George Street suffered significant smoke and water damage in basement Tuesday

A house condemned by the City of Enderby April 10 was significantly damaged in a fire Tuesday afternoon.

In a release issued by the city late Tuesday afternoon, the house in Enderby’s north end, in the 1900 block of George Street, along Highway 97A, was condemned under the city’s safe premises bylaw due to the presence of controlled substances and hazardous conditions observed the during the apprehension by RCMP of a wanted person.

After the city threatened legal action to enforce the order made under its safe premises bylaw, the property owners required the occupants to vacate.

As the occupants were in the process Tuesday of removing some of their possessions, the Enderby and District Fire Department responded to a structure fire involving the condemned building.

Fire Chief Cliff Vetter said the occupants had been moving and gone to get something to eat. When they returned to the home around 1 p.m., they noticed a fire. One man sleeping on an upstairs couch was awakened by the fire and got out of the premises safely.

READ ALSO: Enderby Fire Department rescues kittens

The fire department contained the blaze to the home’s basement.

“There is a lot of smoke damage and some water damage,” said Vetter. “Most of the damage was in the basement. We had to remove part of a wall where the flames got inside, but we were able to save the building. A fire investigation is pending.”

Vetter said Tuesday there was nothing to indicate the fire was suspicious, and believed it may have started due to an electrical problem.

READ ALSO: Fire destroys Enderby mill workshop

Enderby Mayor Greg McCune said it was the city’s finding that the home contained a number of hazardous conditions that made it unfit for habitation.

“The action to condemn the building only could have happened with strong cooperation between the city and RCMP,” said McCune. “At this point, we do not know the cause of the fire for certain, but this serious situation could have been much worse, and potentially tragic.”



roger@vernonmorningstar.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Gardens plant hope for Vernon residents who were once homeless

Turning Points, in collaberation with Briteland, bring square foot gardening to Blair Apartments

Tolko Armstrong taking two weeks downtime

Vernon-based company tells employees mill will take downtime May 27 and June 3

More campsites coming to Vernon and beyond

Province announced half of the new spots to 13 most popular provincial parks

North Okangan MP welcomes plan to fight human trafficking

Mel Arnold applauds Conservative plan for A Safer Canada

Okanagan elementary schools help Chinook salmon

Kingfisher is hosting a series of field trips to release the school-raised salmon

Federal tourism minister announces new national strategy in Armstrong

Mélanie Joly announced funding available for rural communities and other parts of the new strategy

Bear spray culprit released from Penticton RCMP custody

The individual who sprayed the bear spray at Compass House on May 22 has been released

Municipalities protest after B.C. declares marijuana growing ‘farm use’

UBCM president seeks answers in letter to John Horgan government

Popular Peachland park reopens

Hardy Falls Regional Park has been closed from flood damage since 2017

Summerland students to raise voices in public speech competition

Public speaking component is included in high school English program

CMHC defends mortgage stress test changes amid calls for loosening rules

Uninsured borrowers must now show they could service their mortgage if rates rose two per cent

B.C. woman left ‘black and blue’ after being pushed off 40-foot cliff at lake

West Shore RCMP looking for witnesses as investigation continues

Children learn for free at Vernon library

Reading, puppet shows, prizes and more

UPDATE: Residents asked to manage attractants after bear sighting at Salmon Arm school

Conservation Officer says people need to change behaviours to avoid destruction of bears

Most Read