Skip to content

UPDATE: Animals saved from Falkland barn fire

Blaze destroyed old structure on cattle farm Wednesday, Dec. 8
A barn bursts into flames in Falkland Wednesday, Dec. 8. (Bev Laponder photo)

No animals were injured after a historic barn went up in flames and neighbours rallied to get them to safety.

A fire was sparked in a Falkland barn Wednesday, Dec. 8 on Dear Road.

“(It) pretty much burned to the ground. Thankfully no humans or animals were hurt,” Falkland resident Bev Laponder said.

She was driving when she saw the blaze around 3 p.m.

“When I first saw the fire it was small and only on one corner of the building. I stopped and called 911 but I could see that it was going to go up really fast,” she said.

Owner Laurie Haller said the long-standing structure was built around 1895 and may have been started from a stock water de-icer.

“I’ve used it for years with no problems, but there were 10 young bulls in that pen so who knows what those boys did,” Haller said.

He is grateful to the community for jumping to action to save not only the cattle, but other important items.

“I’d really like to thank Karie Ricard who stopped and moved some animals away from the barn while calling for help. Like to also thank the Falkland Fire Department for getting here quick and saving my saddles and moving two tractors and side-by-side away from fire. Friends Jason and Kim Churchill and their son Cole were here as well, helping save what they could.”

Neighbours, friends and community members have also been reaching out to Haller wanting to help in any way they can.

“Thank you so much for all the offers and concern about getting something built for calving season (Jan. 1),” he said. “Thanks again Falkland and friends.”

READ MORE: Okanagan residents frustrated with AIM Roads over lack of snow removal

READ MORE: Pup lost in North Okanagan home fire


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Jennifer Smith

About the Author: Jennifer Smith

Vernon has always been my home, and I've been working at The Morning Star since 2004.
Read more