A gas leak up at Silver Star caused an evacuation Tuesday afternoon.
The leak was the result of snow falling from the roof of a building and snapping a gas line.
“The Silver Star Fire Department evacuated the hotel, the Silver Creek Lodge, as a precaution,” said Tanya Laing Gahr, corporate communications advisor with Fortis. “Crews had to remove snow before they could access the damaged gas line and make repairs. They worked closely with the fire department to remove the snow, shut off the gas and make repairs. Service was restored to the hotel within a few hours.”
The leak was in the 9800 block of Pinnacles Road.
“Our first job is to make the situation safe and determine the best way to stop the leak,” said Laing Gahr. “Generally, allowing the gas to vent into the atmosphere is often the safest solution and impacts the fewest number of customers. Natural gas is lighter than air; when it vents or leaks from a pipe, it rises and dissipates quickly and harmlessly. Allowing the gas to vent into the atmosphere is often the safest solution and impacts the fewest number of customers until we determine the best way to stop the leak.”
But it was business as usual at the Vance Creek Hotel and Conference Centre, which was not affected and hosted the Greater Vernon Chamber of Commerce Business After 5.
Nearby residents are under evacuation as Silver Star Fire Department and FortisBC investigate a natural gas leak near SilverStar Mountain Resort.
“Fortis is here now and they are working on it but they haven’t been able to get it on standby,” said Kristy Jahn-Smith, marketing manager at the resort. “We have evacuated a few buildings on site.”
Reports just before 4 p.m. showed everything is under control.
The leak is in the 9800 block of Pinnacles Road and evacuated buildings include a staff housing unit.
Vance Creek Hotel and Conference Centre has not been affected by the current gas leak. Therefore the Greater Vernon Chamber of Commerce Business after 5 is not affected.