Laryn Gilmour/ Black Press

Laryn Gilmour/ Black Press

6 people released from hospital after toxic chemical incident

West Kelowna Best Western was evacuated yesterday

Update

It has been confirmed by Interior Health Authority that six patients that were injured due to an incident involving pool cleaning chemicals have been released from Kelowna General Hospital.

Original

West Kelowna’s Best Western hotel was evacuated Thursday and one person was sent to hospital following an incident with pool cleaning chemicals.

West Kelowna Fire Rescue responded to a reported chemical spill at the hotel, on Carrington Road, at around 4 p.m. and crews quickly secured the area, evacuated the hotel and requested the assistance of the Regional HAZMAT team from Kelowna.

“HAZMAT teams entered the pool maintenance area where they discovered a solution of acid and chlorine in a bucket that an employee had inadvertently mixed during routine pool maintenance,” said assistant chief Brent Watson.

READ MORE: HAZMAT SITUATION UNFOLDS

“The bucket containing the mixture was safely contained and then removed to the outside of the hotel, where it was picked up for disposal by a specialty HAZMAT company.”

One hotel employee was transported to KGH by BC Ambulance after inhaling the gasses produced by the accidental mixture. Several other employees and guests were assessed on scene but not transported, reporting minor symptoms.

A total of two engines, a safety, the regional HAZMAT team and a command unit responded to the incident.

As of Monday night, the hotel remains evacuated, with management seeking alternate accommodations for impacted guests. The fire department reminds West Kelowna residents to exercise extreme caution around chemicals and to read all product labels carefully.