The wading pool at Vernon’s Lakeview Park, better known as Peanut Pool, which sees about 6,000 user visits annually, is slated for a revitalization project that would include a new spray park. (Facebook photo)

Upgrades planned for Vernon’s Peanut Pool

A $2 million project for Lakeview Park would see the exisiting pool upgraded and a spray park added

A popular Vernon swimming hole is due for a facelift that would include a new spray park.

Greater Vernon Recreation Services has asked for, and received, council’s support to apply for funding that will revitalize the aging Peanut Pool at Lakeview Park on East Hill.

Recreation Services will apply for funding that will cover more than 73 per cent of a proposed $2 million upgrade, and the city has agreed to allocate funds for the remaining 27 per cent, approximately $535,000.

“The objective of this project is to revitalize the Lakeview wading pool, making it more inviting, sustainable and accessible to the community,” said Gary Lefebvre, manager of aquatics with Recreation Services, in a report to Vernon council.

The 61-year-old pool does not meet the current needs of the community in terms of utilization and accessibility.

The pool currently sits alone by itself with a playground and washrooms nearby. The proposed revitalization calls for installation of a new spray park adjacent to the pool and replacing and relocating the washrooms and mechanical and storage building.

Related: Pool reopened following hazmat incident

A new pool design will include a zero depth entry, hand rails, wide pathways and large accessible washrooms to accommodate people with disabilities.

The addition of a heating system will make the pool more comfortable for users on cooler days and allow for the option of swimming lessons to preschool-aged participants.

Lefebvre said if Recreation Services’ funding application bid is successful, they won’t find out until the fall of this year.

“Due to this, administration believes that the soonest the project could get underway would be early 2020 with planning and design work, and potentially with excavation in the fall of 2020,” he said. “Ideally, the project would be completed the following spring with an opening planned for late June 2021.”

Peanut Pool opened in 1958. It’s open to the public, free of charge, for swimming from the last weekend in June until Labour Day.

It’s open nine hours a day, seven days a week, with an estimated 6,000 user visits each seasons. It’s a supervised facility with certified lifeguards on duty during all hours of operation.

“The pool has been a great asset to the community, providing families with a location to build community and cool off on hot, summer days,” said Lefebvre. “For many children, the pool is their first swimming experience.”



roger@vernonmorningstar.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

CDART trains North Okanagan volunteers

Regional group looking to form to help animals in cases of emergencies and disasters

Mix of sun and cloud for the Okanagan-Similkameen Shuswap

Chance of showers for much of the region this afternoon

PHOTOS: Vernon’s Summer Music Festival a hit at Caetani Centre

Acts from Argentina to Vernon gathered in the back yard of the Pleasant Valley home Saturday

East Hill rats not uncommon in Vernon

Man sees rat in back yard of East Hill home for 30 years, but wildlife expert said that’s not rare

PHOTOS: Grindrod Days brings smiles

Day-long celebration features antique tractor parade, old-fashioned games, animals and fun

When walls talk: Vernon murals see generation II

“This new movement, an app, will bring the strength of some of those same Vernon visionaries together again into a newdigital form”

Vancouver Island teens missing after vehicle found ablaze near Dease Lake, BC

RCMP say a body discovered nearby not one of the missing teens

Water quality makes swimming unsafe at three beaches near Salmon Arm

The Adams Lake Indian Band has issued a water qulity notice affecting beaches at three campgrounds.

A year later, ceremony commemorates victims of the Danforth shooting

It’s the one-year anniversary of when a man opened fire along the bustling street before shooting and killing himself

Second osprey chick dies, Okanagan web cam off

The second chick in an osprey nest featured on the Town of Osoyoos website has died

Japanese Canadians call on B.C. to go beyond mere apology for historic racism

The federal government apologized in 1988 for its racism against ‘enemy aliens’

Fire department helps with body recovery in Okanagan Lake

Penticton fire department assisted the RCMP with the recovery of a body Saturday

Police on scene at Penticton beach

RCMP were at a what is believed to be a crime scene near Skaha Beach Sunday

Most Read